Monday 11 February 2013

Take a Snow Day: Knit, Sew, Bead, Eat Chocolate

Midwinter, not just a wonderful adventure story by John Buchan, but a wonderful time of year.   I don't like shovelling snow anymore more than the next person, but I do like a snow day now and then.

A snow day means a little extra time for knitting, quilting, reading and cooking (usually something with chocolate).

Here are a few projects I'm working on this midwinter.

1.    I love this big comfy cowl from Zilalila.  I am knitting one for myself right now.



2.    I love quilting.  I'm using these silly fabrics (the series is called The Ghastlies) to make a simple throw for my sister.

 



If I was more talented I'd try something like this lovely 2nd place winner 'Ribbit' by Diana Hensley.


Maybe some day in the future, the far future.

3.    I'm also working on a few beaded necklaces.  Here are a couple that have inspired me.

Harvest Moon Maiden by Rebeccas Well



4.    Cold days call for treats.  Here are two recipes. The first is a simple chocolate cake from More Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin (who wrote for Gourmet magazine back in the day). Here's what Laurie had to say about the cake: "...whoever thought the recipe up ought to get the Nobel Prize. It is awesomely simple, contains no eggs, can be made in one bowl, and calls for only 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (cheaters can use melted butter)...It is hard to encapsulate the virtues of this cake. It is fast, easy, and scrumptious. It has a velvety, powdery feel--the result of all that cocoa. It is not so horribly bad for you, because you use buttermilk, which is relatively low in fat, and cocoa powder is defatted anyway. Furthermore, it keeps like a dream and tastes even better after a few days."



Laurie calls the recipe "Karen Edward's Version of Buttermilk Cocoa Cake".  You can find the recipe here at The Chocolate Gazette.

The second is a recipe for hot chocolate with a hint of chili and spice, which adds a little bit of heat in the back of your throat when you drink it.  This recipe uses Mexican chocolate disks, which can be found in gourmet chocolate shops or online.

 A thermos full of hot chocolate with chili is just the thing to take along to a toboggan hill, a skating party or a long walk in the winter woods. Find the complete recipe at The Chocolate Gazette.



Whatever you choose to do with your Snow Day, make sure you take time to just relax and enjoy yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment